RSS Feed

MAXIMUM PARKING SIGNS FOR MARYBOROUGH A GREAT STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

July 29th, 2015

COUNCILLOR James Hansen has called on the council to admit their timed parking changes in Maryborough were wrong.

COUNCILLOR HANSEN FCRC IMAGE www.fcci.com.auicon-x

New four-hour signs were erected earlier this year in the CBD including Kent, Richmond and Wharf Sts, in areas which used to be all-day parking, drawing the ire of some drivers.

Wednesday’s debate between councillors came after rural Cr Hansen called for a review into the parking changes, with a report to be provided on October 21.

“It’s time to admit it was a wrong decision and move on,” he said.

Mayor Gerard O’Connell said the council was always going to do a review.

“It’s not about a right and wrong, it’s about getting an outcome that’s best,” he said.

Cr Hansen’s call for a report was rejected by seven votes to four.

Maryborough councillor Daniel Sanderson followed with a motion of his own, calling for a review to begin in October.

Cr Sanderson’s motion was passed 6-4 and the council will do a review into the Maryborough parking strategy in October.

maryborough parking signs image www.frasercoastcentral.com (1)maryborough parking signs image www.frasercoastcentral.com (2)maryborough parking signs image www.frasercoastcentral.com (3)BLUE TICK IN WHITE BOX

BEST THING TO HAVE HAPPENED TO HAVE A MAXIMUM PARKING TIME.
You cannot have people parking in the main city street all day including business owners & workers.

Shoppers go into the city, do their business over an hour or two & leave. Parking must be available to the shoppers not to shop workers in town.

All day parkers can park on the shop property or just outside of the CBD if they want to park all day.

The complainers about max times for central city parking need to get out from under their rocks & realize the new parking initiative will help revitalize the city centre.

A vacant lot in the city where a multi-level carpark can be built by council or a developer for all day parkers, but they pay for it just like in any other city centre…

www.fcci.com.au

Fraser Coast Commerce & Industry

OOO

Henry Sapiecha

FLASHING BRIGHT BLUE LINE

Mix of new and old faces on board as FCO looks to the future in business opportunities in the Fraser Coast

July 15th, 2015

drcotton_image www.fcci.com.au

THE new board members of the previously embattled tourism entity, Fraser Coast Opportunities have been announced, featuring a mix of new and old faces.

ARROW HOWARD HB AREA MAP

Fraser Coast USQ executive manager Brett Langabeer, Stockland Hervey Bay centre manager Paul Kelsey and former CEO of the Queensland Symphony Orchestra, Libby Anstis are the three new members of the FCO board.

Southern Cross Media Fraser Coast and Bundaberg general manager Greig Bolderrow and Fraser Coast man, Dr Paul Cotton successfully re-applied for their positions, with Dr Cotton replacing Mayor Gerard O’Connell as chair.

Cr O’Connell said he was pleased with the mix of new and old faces selected.

“They have varied skills, including running large organisations, and are passionate about the Fraser Coast,” he said

The five members have been appointed for two years.
ooo

Henry Sapiecha

*Comment-So how is the new team going to change anything when previous members are in control of the panel?

We shall wait & see I suppose..Hi Paul. Doug Kelsey’s son.

FRASER COAST Start of mullet season has an issue

July 1st, 2015

MIXED BAG-Tom Durbidge hauls in a catch of mullet. image www.fcci.com.au

COAST mullet fisherman Kevin Cannon’s small but experienced team has had a weather-delayed start to this year’s season.

Fraser Coast Chronicle has got to be one of the best provicial newspapers in Australia  without a doubt.

Fishermen to his north and south have had success but so far, this winter has only provided the Mudjimba-based veteran “a little hatful”.

The ocean temperature has yet to drop to the suitable 20-degree mark and south- westerly winds which he desires are yet to blow in.

Traditionally, early June is when mullet start running in beach gutters.

“It doesn’t really look like we are going to get a south- westerly for a couple of weeks,” Mr Cannon said.

“It’s just been a case of wait and see.”

He had heard of good hauls at Caloundra as well as Noosa but as yet, no luck in between.

Mr Cannon, 67, said his crew members were aged 66 and 65 with the youngest member about 45.

He has been walking the beaches with nets since the late ’50s but struggles to see how younger generations could take up the craft.

He said the possibility of laws changing or restrictions being added meant it was unlikely banks would loan the money needed to get started.

“There’s no certainty in it for the young fellows,” he said.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district manager Greg Bowness said the traditional winter migration of the sea mullet provided commercial operators with an important opportunity and netting activity had already escalated.

“Seafood wholesalers should have a plentiful supply of fresh local mullet,” Mr Bowness said. “It is a commercially important species and although inspections show high levels of compliance with fisheries regulations, including fish size, licensing, net length and mesh size, QBFP will be in the region to monitor activity.”

Mr Bowness asked recreational fishers to allow commercial netters to conduct their activities safely during the mullet run by giving them room to operate.

ooo

Henry Sapiecha

*PS…These are hard working people. Give them a break.

Dumping warning for processor spells doom to fishery unless a solution is found

July 1st, 2015

LNP candidate for Hinkler Keith Pitt and senate candidate Matthew Kanavan talk with Paul Hodson from Urangan Fisheries in front of a tray of ocean king prawns from the Coral Sea.image www.fcci.com.au

LNP candidate for Hinkler Keith Pitt and senate candidate Matthew Kanavan talk with Paul Hodson from Urangan Fisheries in front of a tray of ocean king prawns from the Coral Sea.

A WARNING issued to a Urangan seafood processor for scallop disposal into the ocean is writing on the wall, says State Member for Hervey Bay Ted Sorensen.

Mr Sorensen said the company, which wanted to remain anonymous, had been warned by the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage for breaching a little-known law which made it an offence to dump animal matter into the ocean.

He was concerned the warning pre-empted regulation changes that would make it illegal to dispose of natural seafood by-products into the Great Sandy Strait.

“If seafood processing companies are going to be fined for the likes of disposing scallop shells into the ocean, it means that such companies may have to move their processing activities to Asia,” he said.

“A loss of such industry could spell over a hundred job losses for Hervey Bay.”

The warned company had put scallop shells in Urangan Harbour for the past 40 years in accordance with state laws, Mr Sorensen said.

“Red tape like this is killing business,” he said.

“If one trawler operator spends about $200,000 on fuel a month, imagine what this means for the local economy if they can no longer operate out of Hervey Bay.”

Mr Sorensen wanted Fraser Coast seafood businesses that have been warned to contact him on 4124 1386.

OOO

Henry Sapiecha